71 SW Oak Street
Cast-Iron Manufacturer: Oregon Iron Works
This is Portland’s third oldest standing building and its Italianate style has been maintained except for the third story 1876 addition. A. C. Gibbs, Oregon Governor and owner of the Oregon Iron Works foundry, rented this building from Joseph Dielschneider’s widow from 1862 to 1866. The ironwork façade was added during this period (foundry mark “OIW” on threshold plate).
Photographs by Kevin Costello
|View from Kamm Block, 1886||Nearby: Hallock & McMillan Building||Nearby: Fechheimer & White Building|