728-730 SW First Avenue
Cast-Iron Manufacturer: Union Iron Works
Built as a unified block of separate store fronts by three owners, these buildings started to take on their own personalities over time. In the beginning, the iron work of all three matched that of the Pearne Building down the street.
Of the three attached buildings, the Harker retains most of its pilasters and sash columns, making it one of the most intact storefronts in Portland. Two original piers carry the mark of the Union Iron Works. The sash columns are unusual and include a diamond plate-like pattern at the base and a “fence” of arrows and button courses on the body.
Photographs by Kevin Costello
|Nearby: Love Building||Nearby: van Rensselaer Building||First Avenue looking south from Morrison, 1880|