Built 1867, Rebuilt 1875
816-818 SW First Avenue
Cast-Iron Manufacturer: Unknown
This building, like the Pearne Building next door, was destroyed by fire in 1873 but the cast iron components were saved and reused when the structure was rebuilt in 1874-1875. It is an example of the “party wall” method of construction that was used for many cast iron-fronted row buildings of the period. By eliminating the necessity of two walls, construction was simplified and costs were lowered. The most striking feature is the 1880s crowning mansard roof, probably added when Singer Sewing Machine was a tenant here. A large pediment intersects it, emphasizing the four narrow third floor windows. Iron satyr heads decorate support brackets and a Roman female head observes the street below.
Photographs by Kevin Costello
|Nearby: Pearne Building||Nearby: Harker Building||Nearby: van Rensselaer Building|