Built 1878-1879, Demolished late 1940s
Corner of SW Second Avenue & Oak Street
Architects: Piper, Hallock and Knapp
This two story brick building was constructed for William Sherlock’s and Charles Bacon’s Livery Stables in 1878-79, followed by a third story addition in 1884. Architect J. A. Knapp, who practiced in Portland from 1877-81, associated with William Piper and Absalom Hallock (Portland’s first professional architect) to design this and other cast iron-fronted buildings. The Sherlock Building featured cast iron columns at the entry, topped by a balcony with fanciful pediments and cast iron railings, columns above, and a cast iron shell motif in the spandrel. The windows echoed Venetian influences in their design arrangement.
William Sherlock came from Ireland where, along with his brother Samuel, he learned the harness maker’s trade. Samuel followed William to Portland in the 1850s. The Sherlock and Bacon Company was the forerunner of the George Lawrence Wholesale Saddlery Company after Lawrence married Rose Lawrence, sister of the Sherlock brothers. Charles Bacon continued in the livery business alone after splitting from Sherlock and eventually owned substantial property on Swan Island, while Sherlock invested in Washington County acreage.
The Lawrence Saddlery Company remained in business in other locations until 1985, having evolved into purveying other leather, transportation, and sporting goods.
The Sherlock Building was later occupied with other commercial uses, including a Chinese restaurant, and was demolished in the late 1940s for a parking lot. (Note: there is another historic Sherlock Building at 309 SW Third Avenue).
|Medallion from Sherlock Building||Same architect: Smith's Block||Starr Block & Sherlock Building, 1883|