25-33 NW Front/Naito Parkway
Architect: Justus Krumbein
Cast-Iron Manufacturer: Architectural Iron Works
Although by the 1880s most iron work was manufactured locally, iron work for the Bickel Block was made by Architectural Iron Works of San Francisco. This important foundry was a branch of one of the country’s first foundries, formed in the 1840s, by industry leader Daniel Badger and based in New York. Several pilasters that are in the Gothic style are exposed at the structural wall divisions and at the corner and this building has been fully renovated as part of the new University of Oregon’s Portland campus in Skidmore/Old Town.
Photographs by Kevin Costello
|By the same architect:
Fechheimer & White Building
|By the same architect: Seamen's Bethel||Bickel Block, 1883|