219-223 SW Stark Street
Architect: P. Heurn, San Francisco
Cast-Iron Manufacturer: Unknown
Originally built as the Bishop’s office and library next to the local Catholic Cathedral, this long-standing Gothic inspired structure has since seen varied owners and occupants. When the new cathedral was built in 1894 at NW 15th and Davis, the first cathedral was demolished leaving the Bishop House on its own and with new owners. In 1965, William Roberts, a descendant of the Roberts Brothers Clothing Store family, restored the structure to prime condition. Ornaments missing for years such as the cross and finials were found in storage and returned to their original positions.
Photographs by Kevin Costello
|Across the street: McKay Building||Nearby: Union Block|