75-83 SW First Avenue (at Ash Street)
Architects: Attributed to E. M. Burton
Cast-Iron Manufacturer: Unknown
Part of the larger New Market Block development also built by Captain A. P. Ankeny, the New Market Building’s façade is highly decorative and has maintained a high degree of integrity including fully intact storefronts. The cast iron corner column was made by connecting two adjoining pilasters which are repeated throughout the building. Impressive over-scaled console brackets, handsomely covered with scrolls, leaf decorations and grape clusters, project outward to support the belt cornice. The pilasters rest on cast iron thresholds pierced below by ventilator openings, decorated with a chain motif which may tie to Ankeny’s career on the waters.
Photographs by Kevin Costello
|Nearby: New Market Theater||Also built by Captain Ankeny: Ankeny & Watson Building||New Market Block, 1873|